PhD in Theatre and Performance Studies
The Doctor of Philosophy program typically admits applicants who will complete MA and MFA degrees prior to registration at Pitt. The Department also will consider for admission BA applicants that demonstrate strong potential and capacity for doctoral level work. If admitted, BA students may choose to receive an MA en route to the PhD.
International students - The Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences requires a TOEFL score of 90 (with at least a score of 22 in all of the four sections of speaking, listening, reading and writing); or a minimum IELTS of 7.0 (with at least 6.5 in each of its four sections).
PhD Application Material Requirements - GRE no longer required
- University of Pittsburgh’s on-line application (there is a $50.00 application fee)
- A personal statement indicating your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Pittsburgh and your academic and professional goals.
- Official or Unofficial College Transcripts are uploaded with application. After a student is recommended for admission, official copies of all college transcripts will then need to be sent directly from the institution(s) to the Dean’s office before a student can be matriculated.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Two (2) samples of academic writing.
- Non-US citizens: TOEFL or IELTS scores - this is mandatory and cannot be waived.
The deadline for application is January 15. Apply now »
For questions or information regarding the application process, please contact:
Graduate Student Services Administration
For questions or information regarding the Theatre Arts Graduate Programs, please contact:
Director of Graduate Studies